Monday, June 30, 2008

Inside the Adventure Cylist Mind

About a week before our arrival in Frisco, Danielle presented us with a set of questions that she hoped we would consider and answer before our parting of ways. Some of the questions are straightforward and some of them inevitably inspired more creative answers. In any case, our repsonses will perhaps satisfy some curiosities.

1) # of flats?

Danielle:

3 flats and 1 tire blowout

Geoff:

3 flats

Gift:

6 flats

Amy:

2 flats on Bob trailer tire; zero on bike tires

2) Top speed?

Danielle:
41.6 mph

Geoff:
52.69 mph

Gift:
51 mph

Amy:
37 mph (for the record i prefer climbing!)

3) Favorite place visited?

Danielle:
near Earthquake Lake where we saw the grizzly bear

Geoff:
1. the ride between Old Faithful and the south entrance to Yellowstone
2. Togwotee Pass
3. Bitteroot Brewery

Gift:
riding out of Yellowstone and seeing the Tetons (because of great scenery); Dayville, OR
(because everyone in town was so nice!)

Amy:
Yellowstone and the Tetons, despite rain, snow and wind

4) What do you think about while cycling?

Danielle:
"Come out, come out wherever you are, animals!!!"

Geoff:
"Food, beer, scenery, when is this effin hill going to end, songs, people on the trip, family,
friends, life in general. It's one long daydream."

Gift:
"Nothing. I don't think. I just ride."

Amy:
"What don't I think about?!"

5) What do you eat when you need energy while riding?

Danielle:
crunchy peanut butter Clif Bar, Pop Tarts, GU for a real pickmeup

Geoff:
Nature Valley crunchy granola bars and performance enhancing drugs

Gift:
whatever I have in my food bag-granola bars, Pop Tarts, string cheese,
Chex Mix (hot & spicy variety)

Amy:
Berry Almond Luna Bars, peanut butter Power Bars, cheese

6) Favorite article of cycling clothing?

Danielle:
my new Patagonia rainjacket...it has made all the difference!

Geoff:
none-I wish I could bike naked, although that could lead to an extra sore ass!

Gift:
my bike shorts, of course!

Amy:
leg warmers...and my rainpants once I finally purchased them!

7) Favorite piece of cycling gear?

Danielle:
my Sea to Summit dry bags-they keep everything organized and dry!

Geoff:
fenders-they keep the road slime off of me.

Gift:
my vented sunglasses that make me look FAST!

Amy:
my Shimano shoes because they're super comfortable and the velcro is a reminder of the
good ol' days.

8) If you could ask Lance Armstrong one question, what would it be?

Danielle:
"Were you not strong enough to be Sheryl Crow's man?"

Geoff:
"How was Ashley Olsen in the sack?"

Gift:
"Pop Tarts or muffins?"

Amy:
"Do you focus your eyes just beyond your front tire or towards the top of the hill?"

9) Finish this sentence: My bike________.

Danielle:
My bike, the Fujisaurous, is simply better.

Geoff:
My bike is fun, pain, escape, misery all in one sexy green ride. It's also great on gas!

Gift:
My bike is old and broken.

Amy:
My bike feels good between my legs.

10) Name one song you couldn't get out of your head all day.

Danielle:
"The Gambler"-Kenny Rogers

Geoff:
"Between the Moon and New York City"-Christopher Cross

Gift:
I don't sing. I just ride.

Amy:
Amy Winehouse songs

11) What's the oddest thing you encountered on the trip?

Danielle:
the West's weird obsession with taxidermy. It's even in the grocery stores!

Geoff:
three farting girls. WTF?

Gift:
two girls who are gassier than me!

Amy:
a granny telling her young granddaughter that the rest stop restroom is the place
they take little kids to spank them.

12) Describe your experience in ten words or less.

Danielle:
where the heck's the mountain lion??

Geoff:
what a long strange trip it is.

Gift:
fun, cold, smelly, hot, wet, hungry, exhausting, amazing, fast

Amy:
you can always accomplish more than you think you can!

13) Who, or what, is the real Pearl Izumi?

Danielle:
An old lady in a sweatshop.

Geoff:
The chamois making zen master. Me ass feel so good in me Pearl Izumi shorts!

Gift:
There's only one Asian on this trip! Need I say more??

Amy:
Pearl Izumi is a state of mind....when you conquer that long and exhausting climb...when
you find yourself in a peaceful trance on a neverending stretch of highway....when you
become one with the rain...it is at moments like these when you know Pearl Izumi.

Thanks to Danielle for a great idea and fun questions! I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in hearing if any of the answers change for you and Geoff during the second phase of the trip!















1 comment:

Unknown said...

that was one of my favorite posts so far! glad you're having a good trip & really enjoy all your updates. thanks for keeping us in the loop.

I don't have anything thrilling to report, but am keeping a close eye on Sliders for you & will make sure it's there, ready & waiting to welcome you back! :-)